Asthma hospitalisations in children aged 0–14 years increased by more than 50% in 2021
We have recently published the latest results from our Asthma hospitalisation factsheet. Here are the main findings.
- Asthma hospitalisations in children aged 0–14 years increased by more than 50% in 2021 after a substantial drop the previous year.
- Asthma hospitalisations declined after COVID-19 lockdown periods in 2020 and 2021.
- Children aged 0–4 years have had the highest asthma hospitalisation rate since 2001. They had 13 times the rate of asthma as children aged 10–14 years.
- Pacific children had three times the rate of asthma than European/Other children.
- Children living in the most deprived areas (NZDep 2018 quintile 5) had twice the rate of asthma as children living in the least deprived areas (quintile 1).