The Environmental Health Indicators New Zealand (EHINZ) team is a research and consultancy group, specialising in environmental health information.
We are based in the College of Health, Massey University, Wellington. Our work is primarily funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Health.
Watch this short video about our programme.
Our work has two core elements
The programme of Monitoring New Zealand's Environmental Health has two core elements:
- We conduct research into the effect of environment factors on the health of the animal and human populations.
- We provide a consultancy service, providing data and analytical services, and dissemination of fit-for-purpose information products.
Our surveillance systems for environmental health
We have five surveillance systems for monitoring environmental health in New Zealand, which are integrated and concept-driven. These surveillance systems are:
Our clients include:
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Ministry for the Environment
- Ministry for Primary Industries
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA)
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Worksafe New Zealand
Crown Research Institutes
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR)
- Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences (GNS)
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
- Landcare Research
Independent Crown Entities
District Health Boards and Public Health Units
- Capital and Coast District Health Board
- Hutt Valley District Health Board
- Public Health Units nationwide
- University of Otago
- University of Auckland
Non-government organisations and individuals
- World Health Organization
We make information and data accessible
On this website, you can find regular updates on the project, as well as relevant data, information, publications and links.
Where possible, we make all information and data available to you:
- on this website, in a variety of map and graph formats
- in our publications and factsheets
- on our mapping website Healthspace.
To find out more about what we do, and how we can help you, contact us.